We went through a customer behaviour research process, spending two months gathering and analysing data from heatmaps, session recordings, user tests, exit surveys, customer surveys, user flows, conversion funnels and analytics. We mapped out the entire customer purchase journey as well as common behavioural patterns that needed to be addressed in the website’s overall user experience.
The insights we gleaned were used to construct an ongoing A/B testing strategy. We left no stone unturned, testing an entirely new design for website’s header section, the navigation bar, the mega-menu, the home page layout, the design of the category and product pages, as well as a few tweaks to the checkout process.
While we were testing, we also took over management of Ted’s Camera’s AdWords account. We used the research piece as a foundation for a complete rebuild of the account, overhauling the entire keyword list, ad creative, landing page selection and general bidding strategy. The analysis we had completed also seemed to highlight several key growth areas, and we wanted to pivot the focus of the account to those areas. It took us a full month to rebuild and relaunch the AdWords account.
While the performance improvement of the AdWords account was felt within several weeks, the outcomes of the A/B testing strategy took slightly longer. While most of the tests were beating their original version in a controlled environment, it wasn’t until many of them had been permanently implemented that we saw the complete impact of our recommendations. But with the combination of the usability and design changes being implemented and the improvement in traffic quality from paid search, we saw dramatic increases in performance for the Ted’s website.